- Boy Scouts Vote To Allow Openly Gay ScoutsPosted 9 hours ago
- IRS Scandal: Lerner Placed On LeavePosted 9 hours ago
- President Obama Defends Drone ProgramPosted 11 hours ago
- Bear Breaks Into CA HomePosted 12 hours ago
- Hurricane Season PredictionsPosted 12 hours ago
- Teen Pregnancies DownPosted 16 hours ago
Air Force Dumped Remains Of Troops In Virginia Landfill
Partial, incinerated remains of at least 274 American service members were dumped in a landfill before this practice was discontinued three years ago.
The landfill dumping was concealed from families who had authorized the military to dispose of the remains in a dignified and respectful manner, Air Force officials said. There are no plans, they said, to alert those families now…
The landfill disposals were never formally authorized under military policies or regulations. They also were not disclosed to senior Pentagon officials who conducted a high-level review of cremation policies at the Dover mortuary in 2008, records show.
A separate federal investigation of the mortuary last month, prompted by whistleblower complaints, uncovered “gross mismanagement” and documented how body parts recovered from bomb blasts stacked up in the morgue’s coolers for months or years before they were identified and disposed of.