- Boy Scouts Vote To Allow Openly Gay ScoutsPosted 7 hours ago
- IRS Scandal: Lerner Placed On LeavePosted 7 hours ago
- President Obama Defends Drone ProgramPosted 10 hours ago
- Bear Breaks Into CA HomePosted 10 hours ago
- Hurricane Season PredictionsPosted 10 hours ago
- Teen Pregnancies DownPosted 14 hours ago
President Obama Orders Health Insurance For Seasonal Firefighters
Thousands of federally-employed firefighters, previously denied, will now get health insurance.
Obama’s directive, confirmed by the White House on Tuesday, capped a 2-month-old electronic petition drive started by a member of a U.S. Forest Service “hot-shot” crew based in South Dakota that has drawn more than 125,000 signatures…
In the meantime, Obama has instructed the U.S. Office of Personnel Management, the Interior Department and the Agriculture Department — parent agency of the Forest Service — to “ensure temporary federal firefighters who are bravely battling fires have access to the health insurance they deserve,” the official said…
Some 15,000 firefighters are on the federal government payroll, but 8,000 of them are classified as temporary, seasonal employees and thus ineligible for federal benefits such as health insurance..